World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: HSS Specialist
Ref Id: 1805618
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: 12 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Objectives of the Programme
- The World Health Organization (WHO) Country Office of Nigeria entered into a funding arrangement with the European Union (EU) whereby, for a period of three years (April 2017 through March 2020), WHO will support the project titled: ‘Strengthening the Nigerian Health System towards achieving Universal Health Coverage’
- The project focuses on improving the health situation in Nigeria, through improved data analysis and information dissemination capabilities, health expenditure estimation, reduction in financial barriers to health care at the federal level in selected states.
Under the overall Guidance of the WHO Country Representative, and direct supervision of the Health Systems Adviser at the WHO Country Office in Abuja, the incumbent will carry out the following duties:
- Collaborate with the state authorities in strengthening state-level Health Information and Health Financing functions including: Support the Ministry of Health to develop a harmonized data quality process Support for coordination of actors in health information through the relevant technical working group in the selected states
- Support to the Government for monitoring of the level of coverage of risk protection schemes at various levels of the health system
- Support to the Government to conduct annual health accounts estimation as well as other expenditure tracking processes
- Analyze information from these processes in 5 above alongside health outcomes data to assess efficiency of health spending Contribute towards WHO and EU’s visibility.
- Support the building of capacity of the State Ministry of Health research and statistics division and the state Monitoring and Evaluation/Health Information System (M&E/HIS) units on the analysis of health information, both from routine systems and from surveys
- Coordinate project activities and facilitate opportunities for timely results attainment
- Liaise with the health sector leadership and appropriate stakeholders to resolve implementation bottlenecks
- Coordinate state Partners to facilitate synergy and maximize resources use for HSS initiatives
- Technical assistance to State in implementation of health information and health financing activities
- Technical assistance to the states for the development of Operational plan for implementation of the State Strategic Health Development Plan (SSHDP) II
- Participate in key federal level HSS planning and monitoring activities to ensure incorporation of Health information and health financing
- Participate in WCO and specific HSS cluster planning and monitoring activities ensuring linkage of Health Information and Health Finance structures to overall health sector structures
- Effective and timely delivery of WHO Country Office Key Performance Indictors (KPIs) including ePMDS, travel request, travel claims, activity reports, HSS Project Multiyear Plan implementation monthly report (with special focus on federal and state-level health workforce information system).
- Support the documentation and sharing of lessons learned from the implementation of project’s initiatives at various platforms at state levels
- Produce and disseminate technical briefs on products
- Contribute to WCO and state HSS key activities ensuring improvement of health information system and health financing within a holistic health system
- Essential: First University Degree in Medicine, Public Health, Social Science or Economics
- Desirable: Advanced University Diploma or Degree in Health Systems Management, Public Health or other related area is an added advantage.
- Essential: Minimum of 2 years’ experience in policy, planning, managing or developing health systems including M&E, health financing and HRH. Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian health system including health information system management and health financing
- Desirable: Previous experience in WHO, UN or other international organizations.
- Technical expertise in planning, monitoring and evaluating health systems especially health workforce management and development
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the Ministry of Health and with a wide variety of stakeholders at state level 3
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, integrate, synthesize and communicate complex concepts and ideas verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound methodological, technical advice and guidance to multiple stakeholders and partners in countries
- IT Proficiency.
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NGN15,384,565 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- The deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the Degree(s)/Diploma(s)/Certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/ Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered